Rules & Regulations
Submissions must be
received no later than
2. A selection committee will view all eligible submissions. All decisions by the selection committee are final.
3. The Festival is open to all film and video makers but there is a strong preference for student and University of Toronto-affiliated works.
4. The Festival is open to all lengths and genres but there is a strong preference for shorter works.
5. Films and videos must be in English or have English sub-titles.
6. Incomplete entries are ineligible.
7. The submission form asks you whether you are a member of the Hart House Film Board. Film Board members are eligible for special juried prizes. For more information on Film Board membership please click here.
8. The submission form asks whether you are enrolled in at least one Cinema Studies class. A Cinema Studies jury will consider these entries for a Cinema Studies Student Union (CINSSU) Spotlight. For more information on CINSSU click here.
NOTE: Special Affiliations is an administrative question only. Entrants can be BOTH Film Board members AND Cinema Studies students. Entrants affiliated with both the Film Board and Cinema Studies may therefore be viewed twice, by two different juries and eligible for any and all related prizes, and will be screened in the most appropriate program.
9. The Shitty Film Contest! seeks the worst movies imaginable under 1-minute in length. Shitty prizes will be awarded. To be considered by the Shitty Jury, mark the appropriate place on the submission form. Open to all shitty filmmakers. Hosted by CINSSU.
10. Movie-parodies wanted for The U of T Film Festival 2nd Annual “Sweding” Contest. (“Sweding” is a new term to describe a movie parody, based on the exploits of the characters in the movie Be Kind Rewind). The Best entries will be screened and “sweding prizes” will be awarded. Rules: Parody any movie you like in 3 minutes or less. To be considered for the Sweding Contest mark the appropriate place on the form.
11. Silent super 8 films under 3-minutes in length for the annual Super 8 Circus. These films will be projected with live music accompaniment. (No video – film only). Previews on video are helpful but not necessary. All films will be accepted for the screening on a first come first served basis. To be considered for the Super 8 Circus mark the appropriate place on the form.
12. All submissions must be on NTSC standard (PAL will not be screened).
13. All submissions must be on DVD or VHS. DVD’s must be region-1 or “region-free”.
14. Preview VHS and DVD’s will not be returned although applicants are invited to pick up all preview materials in person after the festival.
15. Do not send master tapes until asked to do so.
16. Multiple entries are accepted but each entry must be accompanied by a separate form and submission tape or disc.
17. All tapes and discs must contain only the movie being submitted, cued to the front of the tape or disc. In other words, do not submit tapes or discs containing more than one entry or with material other than the movie being submitted.
18. We strongly suggest that all submitted materials begin with at least two-seconds of black ideally followed by an 8-to-2 countdown and another two-seconds of black at the end of the movie.
19. Preview tapes and discs must be labeled with title, running time and contact information. Poorly labeled material is looked down upon.
20. The entrant is responsible for all shipping fees.
from outside of
will be notified of acceptance, via email, by
23. If you submit a movie please send, via email: B&W and/or color stills from the film. The sooner you send us photos the better the chances they will be used in publicity materials.
24. If your film or video is selected, you will be asked to deliver a final screening copy by March 1. You can indicate that your DVD or VHS preview copy be used for screening purposes. If a final screening copy is not received by March 1 the festival will screen your DVD or VHS preview copy. Additional accepted formats are data files (,mov or .avi), flash, miniDV, DVCam, super 8 film. Super 8 films should be delivered to the festival office no later than Friday March 5, 5pm.
25. There are no submission fees.
26. Submissions should be addressed to: